IP Litigation Counsel.
The IP Litigation Counsel will work as part of the Legal team in our Head Office in Camden, London. The IP part of the Legal team supports the global business, which is split into EMEA, Americas and Asia regions. The IP Litigation Counsel, with the rest of the IP team, will handle IP issues and disputes all over the world.
This is a fast-paced, exciting role for an experienced IP litigator who wants to help shape how Dr. Martens protects its trade dress all over the world. There is scope to travel for cases and spend time with external lawyers working on live matters.
THE STUFF THAT SETS YOU APART
- The IP Litigation Counsel, with the rest of the IP team, will handle IP issues and disputes all over the world.
- Prepare and run cases, including evidence preparation, review of pleadings and interacting with senior litigation counsel.
- Supervise and help nurture the junior team members.
- Ownership of litigating on cases with the best external lawyers and the Global IP Counsel.
- Operate across the work as an interconnected team and with the Commercial Counsels in the broader Legal team.
- IP protection is treated as a Board level issue because of the strength of the Dr. Martens brand and trade dress.
- The IP Litigation Counsel reports to the Global IP Counsel, who is an IP lawyer with substantial experience of trademark litigation for retailers and who reports to the General Counsel.
- Also, in the Legal team are an IP & Commercial Counsel and two IP Paralegals.
YOUR FUNDAMENTAL QUALITIES
It’s never just a job at Dr. Martens. It’s a way of life. We live and breathe our Fundamentals – INTEGRITY. PROFESSIONAL. PASSIONATE. TEAM PLAYERS. They define who we are and how we get the job done. We believe each role is as unique as the person who does it. To be our IP Litigation Counsel you will also possess these qualities:
- Substantial hands on Litigation experience of preparing and running cases, including evidence preparation, review of pleadings and interacting with senior litigation counsel. Some time working in-house is a plus however not essential
- Minimum 5 full performance cycles experience of litigating trademark, passing off and design cases in the UK or another common law jurisdiction is required.
- Experience of litigation in more than one country is helpful, however, if you have a sound knowledge of one common law jurisdiction and the curiosity and feel to map those skills across the world, that is the right attitude.
- You are a team player. You look for and play to everyone’s strengths to bring the best out of people.
- Demonstration of working well in a team and helping to support and develop junior lawyers is essential.
- You are an expert communicator in all written forms and professional relationship building
- This is a friendly and co-operative team, so connection with the team is very important.
- The Oxford IP Diploma would also be a plus.