THE STUFF THAT SETS YOU APART
You’re an experienced legal counsel ready to take on a variety of commercial legal issues and provide business-focused solutions. Understanding the wide-ranging risks of a brand is what you do, and you know how to craft robust legal processes & practices to minimize risk across the region. You’d be excited to work within a team, and you know how to flex your time to get the job done. You are passionate about the Dr. Martens brand and are excited to support the business in enhancing Dr. Martens’ footprint in the Americas region.
- Be a legal advisor to the Americas business teams at Dr. Martens, including Marketing, E-Commerce/Digital, Retail, Wholesale, HR, Finance, IT, and Operations, dealing with wide-ranging queries from all parts of the business in the US, Canada, and Latin America, with an emphasis on commercial transactions.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial contracts, including supplier/outsourcing, wholesale customer and distribution, confidentiality, real estate, data privacy, releases, marketing/PRs agency, social media influencer, and other commercial agreements,.
- Collaborate in the continuing development of Dr. Martens’ commercial contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-focused approach to commercial agreements.
- Counsel and educate teams on contract terms, negotiation best practices, commercial implications, and legal risks.
- Develop and operationalize policies, training, templates, and workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- Drive the implementation of compliance initiatives in the Americas region in collaboration with the VP of Legal, Americas, and the Global Compliance team.
- Support data privacy and other compliance initiatives.
- Support corporate governance and related compliance matters.
- Work with external legal counsel to ensure that high quality, cost effective legal advice and support is delivered where this cannot be provided in-house.
- Keep abreast and maintain expert current knowledge of legal developments and guidance impacting the business.
- Build and cultivate strong working relationships with internal and business team members.
- Exercise good judgment in all matters even in ambiguous situations.
YOUR FUNDAMENTAL QUALITIES
It’s never just a job at Dr. Martens. It’s a way of life. We live and breathe our Fundamentals – INTEGRITY. PROFESSIONAL. PASSIONATE. TEAM PLAYERS. They define who we are and how we get the job done. We believe each role is as unique as the person who does it. To join our team, you will also possess these qualities:
- Juris Doctorate and state bar admission in good standing required.
- At least 4+ years’ of directly relevant legal experience, including in-house experience ideally in a multi-jurisdictional consumer brand business.
- Commercial legal background with some experience in compliance.
- A proven track record in providing accurate & effective legal counsel to non-legal team members and tackling legal issues through a business lens.
- Significant experience handling wide-ranging business & commercial transactions, and independently drafting and negotiating contracts to completion.
- Sound legal judgement & and ability to make commercial judgement calls on risk while working at pace.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic & entrepreneurial environment, independently setting priorities and driving results with a high sense of urgency.
- Hard working with a “no task too small” attitude.
- Desire and capacity to learn and teach.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Excellent stakeholder relationship management skills.
- Some international & domestic travel required.
- Ability to work at a standard computer set up 40+ hours per week, with or without accommodations.
- Connection with our Brand, The Stuff that Sets Us Apart and our Fundamental Qualities.
At Dr. Martens, we are committed to creating an environment where we can all be proud to work and be our best. Part of this commitment is being an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.